At Runnymede St Edward’s we’re very proud of our history, which stretches back to 1852 when a Catholic Institute was founded by the legendary Father James Nugent. His statue is sited in St John’s Gardens, Liverpool, alongside St George’s Hall.
The Christian Brothers began to administer the Institute at the beginning of the last century and it became St Edward’s College in 1920. In 1938, the school transferred from central Liverpool to its current setting in 30 acres of beautiful grounds in Sandfield Park, West Derby. It evolved into a Senior School and Junior School – and both enjoyed a continual programme of improvement and development aimed at enriching the lives of their pupils, while providing them with a first class all-round education.
In 1997, St Edward’s College attained Grant Maintained status, and Runnymede has now followed suit in becoming a voluntary aided school. Although separate schools, St Edward’s College and Runnymede St Edward’s Preparatory School occupy the same campus and share excellent sporting and extra-curricular facilities.